Saturday 8 July 2017

Day 10 - the last day!

We didn't have to get up early this morning, so of course we woke early! 
I did some packing and then we decided to go earlier than intended to Sankt Johann to collect my watch that was in for repair. 
The drive there was surprisingly slow, as there was a lot of traffic. It was the last day of school and the pupils literally only go in for an hour to get their end of year reports. This became relevant to us when we found our usual car park next to a school, absolutely full of cars. It was so bad I had to abandon our plans and carry on driving to Kitzbuhel. 

This time we had no problem entering the car park, so we then walked down the hill into the town. 
Once in the centre, we saw that there were the remains of the Austrian road race, lots of cyclists everywhere. 


We managed to avoid all this and had our usual walk around the town. It's very pretty but also VERY expensive! It's full of ladies of a certain age with their bejewelled, collared dogs, chatting with their friends. Then there are the men of a certain age, driving around the town in their Ferraris etc. We saw nice such vehicle at the Rathaus (Town Hall) for a wedding. 



I'm fascinated by shop window displays here, honestly, the prices are ridiculous, as are some of the items for sale. A perfect example is this pair of boots!
After seeing the wedding, then we saw a funeral. All we needed next was a christening!  
We sat and had coffee and did some people watching, but most of the excitement was over by then. We made our way back to the car and left Kitzbuhel, returning to have another go at finding a parking space at Sankt Johann. 

The difference an hour or so makes!  Schools had finished, parents had left, so there were plenty of spaces. The thing then was to get to the jewellery shop before it closes for lunch! Fortunately we did and we spent a good half hour with the owners, chatting about everything. Of course I didn't leave without buying something, as I always feel guilty of I don't!

From here we walked around the market but we were shopped to death so came back empty handed to the car. We drove back to the farm for lunch, then I tried to write my blog. Yet again, the wifi was den and remained down all day. 

We went for our final visit to Cafe Schmid,  mainly to say goodbye. 

We were definitely going out for tea, so didn't dare eat much. I had an ice coffee, coffee ice cream in a tall glass with a spoon and a straw and the Husband actually had just mixed ice cream! No coffee and cake!
However, someone else was having this!
That's a dinner plate full of ice cream, fruit, nuts, berries and cream! It looked gorgeous!

After saying our farewells to everyone, we left and went to see our other friend and her children (and the puppy). We spent a lovely, final afternoon chatting and playing with both children and puppy before we really did have to say goodbye and return to the farm to finish packing etc. This is her house and views. 


We went for tea to Gasthof Strub in the small hamlet of Strub a couple of miles from the village. It's not open often and we were lucky it was tonight. They do the most amazing steaks! I only have a small on but the Husmand has the big one, 250g!
It's about two inches thick and smothered with pepper sauce. It would last me a week if I ate it!

Friday night is the night the village brass band performs a concert in the centre of the village and it's always brilliant. The band is made up of all local people, a few of whom we know in their daily lives, the cobbler and the taxi driver. 
I only had one thing left to do. I visited the church and lit two more candles. At the jewellers I had bought a silver tree of life on a chain. For some weird reason I decided to dip it in Holy water whilst I was there, not like me at all!

There was still no wifi when we got back to the farm so I've written this in Belgium!








No comments:

Post a Comment