Monday 3 July 2017

Day 6 - Monday, the real start of our trip!

The weekend is a waste of time in Austria because very little is open, so we have everything planned for the next five days. 

On putting on my new glasses this morning, they broke - again!  I only got them before I came away so I'm not best pleased. Fortunately I brought some glue with me so the Husband was able to do a temporary repair on them until I get home. Of course I forgot to bring my spare glasses, just as he forgot the big brolly!

As it was raining again this morning we decided to go to Salzburg and visit Hangar 7, Red Bull HQ. This is a brilliant place to visit, apart from the fact that it's free. It's just past the airport and uses the runway for its own planes and helicopters. It's basically a lopsided geodesic dome full of Red Bull vehicles, together with monthly art displays. 
They have a meeting room up in the centre of the roof, with the walkway to reach it, just above the white tail fin on the plane. 

One of the photos on display was amazing. Standing in front of it, I could see the raw aggression in its eyes. I'd love to know how they got the shot!

We picked the wrong day, there were quite a few school trips, as the children break up for summer on Friday. But, it was still well worth a visit, if only to use the magnificent loos! They are in the basement and are amazing! Walking in to the ladies, you see a fabulous floral display. 
The loos are straight ahead and continue with the plane theme. The sinks are incredible and next to them is a stainless steel stand with a built in bin. On top is a container of soap and lots of small flannels, which are actually single use hand towels. Once used, they are thrown in the bin. 
At the end of the room there's even a small vanity unit and chair, with yet another floral display. 

There is a very good Carpe Diem coffee bar on site, overlooking the displays. As usual, the Husband asked for a cappuccino but I went for a hot chocolate. The choice was bitter or milk, so I chose milk. What a surprise when it arrived! It was a cup of hot milk, with what looked like a chocolate lollipop. It was meant for stirring into the hot milk! They definitely do things different here! It was delicious!

From Hangar 7 we went shopping at the Airport Centre, which is a MacArthur Glen, like Cheshire Oaks. It's all inside, so a great place to go in the rain. There's two hours free parking, plenty of time for us.  We weren't very lucky this time and I only brought a gift for the Son.
It was lunchtime, so we did the unforgiveable and got MacDonalds, something we didn't really enjoy! But, hey, the sun came out!

From here we made our way back and had a quick supermarket stop, then a garden centre stop then, finally, I went to buy my special shampoo in another nearby village. 
I'm now stocked up for the coming year and bought so many bottles that I was given two free!  It's wonderful stuff and would probably cost double at home IF it could be bought there. 

Or last stop was, of course, Cafe Schmid. This time he decided to get the cake to take back for tea and had ice cream instead, a massive strawberry sundae. There has to be a full punnet of strawberries in it!
In contrast, I had hot raspberries over vanilla ice cream a lot easier to eat. As you can see, the glass sundae dishes are gorgeous. They are Italian glass and there are shelves full of them. 
We took two pieces of cake back with us for tea as we were t going out for food. When the time came I could hardly eat mine but of course some one polished his off, no problem!



No comments:

Post a Comment