Tuesday 4 July 2017

Day 7 - out and about!

So, after my best sleep since leaving home, I woke early to a lovely, sunny day in the Austrian Tirol. 

We had decided to visit one of our favourite places, Berchtesgaden in Bavaria, about an hour away from our village. We followed the usual route but when we got to the turn off to take us there, the road was closed! It had been open yesterday when we passed on our way to Salzburg. There was a diversion in place but they can be difficult in another language so I told the Husband to programme the sat nav. You would thought I'd asked him to build a PC!  In the end I managed it and we found our way  via a town called Bad Reichenhall. This is another salt town and we visited there quite a few years ago. 

Eventually we arrived in Berchtesgaden, where Hitler had his Eagles Nest on the top of the mountain. It's a lovely Bavarian town and again, we revisit every year. 
We always have coffee at the same place too, Cafe Forstner, which is in the square next to the new, posh, hotel Eidleweiss. 
I also visit Dollinger, a traditional clothing shop. It's amazing to see the beautiful clothes, the colours are so lovely. It's also interesting to see how many wear these clothes every day. 

We only stayed there for an hour or so so, since we had to follow the diversion again, we decided to also visit Bad Reichenhall. They have a really good shopping area there but it's a bit of a trial driving around looking for parking. In the end I parked at the salt museum in the centre of town. 

The town is a mixture of traditional and modern but it works well.  What amused us was the massive chocolate shop/cafe dedicated to Mozart chocolates. Mozart was Austrian and Salzburg is full of places cashing in on his name, so it's funny to see a similar shop in Germany!

As we had also decided not to visit Cafe Schmid today (shock!) I allowed the Husband to have a slice of apple strudel with whipped cream!  

We've not had many decent meals because we've got too full with cake and ice cream so tonight we're off out for dinner. 
Once I'd paid the bill we went inside the shop to buy a few extra gifts. I've never seen so much chocolate!

Then, I actually did some ordinary shopping, buying a couple of tops and a black hand bag. Bad Reichenhall is a really good place to show and it's not touristy, which makes a nice change!

We left here and made our way back to our village. We picked up some essentials, tools for breakfast and a big bottle of Almdudler, together with a 'vignette'. This is a pass that has to be displayed in the window a a toll to use the Austrian motorways, the ones in Germany are free. We are off on all gosh trip to morrow, so I did t want to forget to buy it. 

When we got back to the farm the Husband needed a nap so I walked down the hill to visit my friend. I wanted a quiet chat with her to let her know what's been happening with me this last year. I also had a chance to play with her puppy, as I'm really missing Schmid at the moment. I had a lovely hour or so with her and then returned to the farm. 

We went off to the Schneiderman for tea, but timed it badly as there was a large family group in. So our meal took a while! Never mind, it was worth it!  
After a lovely meal it was time for another film then bed!





No comments:

Post a Comment